;

Friday, December 10, 2010

Bee Tai Mak Making Process ~ 米台目自制过程

Bee Tai Mak 米台目

Im sure that Bee Tai Mak is not alien to you, but have u tried Bee Tai Mak dessert? It is a Hakka traditional dessert. It was my favourite since young. There was an uncle who sold this dessert long time ago and nowadays i cant find similar dessert anymore! sob sob~

My grandma used to make this for us to eat. My brothers and I love it much. Last year I ask her if she can teach me how to make this Bee Tai Mak dessert, but she said she has forgotten (She is not young anymore, reasonable). This dessert is good for health, it is great during the summer time!

So, as a generation, and as a mixed Hakka decendent, I decided to look for the recipe online and make it..hehe...It was hard to find the recipe as not people share the recipe. But finally, I found this recipe, similar to how my grandma described. It was an 1.5 hr...long but I enjoyed€:)
The following are the process.

1st of all, soak 2 cups of rice overnight. This picture shows the rice after being soaked for 1 night.The rice should be breakable and soft.

2ndly, with the ratio of water n soaked rice, 1:1, put them together into blender. I used 2 cups of rice (rice measurement cup), so I used the 2 cups of water and put them into the blender.



I started to blend until there is no more rice particle. This process is vital!

I filtered the blended rice juice, to make sure there is no big rice particle. This process is unecessary if your rice juice is ok.



Cooking time! I added 2 teaspoons of corn starch into the wok, and stirred it. Make sure the corn starch is fully soluble with the rice juice. Start with a low heat.



Stir it continuously to make sure it doesnt stick on the bottom or overheated. Stir and stir and stir....You will find the rice juice started to thicken.



Now, your rice dough is almost done, it should not be too watery or too hard.


Boil a pot of water simultaneously when you start to heat the rice juice.



When the water is boiled, use anything with hole and put your dough on it and press it and the Bee Tai Mak will fall into the boiling water. The size of the hole depends on how you want it to be.


When it start to float, it means it is cooked and you can take it out and soaked in cold water. (This ensures the Bee Tai Mak is not overcooked and soft, soaking in cold water gives the QQ feeling)


Now, your Bee Tai Mak is ready and you can serve with longan soup, or any sweetened soup. Serve chilled or hot. You can add colour to the rice dough. I didnt put any colour to it as I want to make it as chemical-free as possible. Of course, you can add pandan leaves extract to give it green colour, beetroot juice to give red colour. You can keep it in the fridge for 1 day or 2.


Enjoy it!

1 comment:

ladyblue said...

Also searching my roots. Thanks for this memorable dessert's storytelling. The pics are a great help!